White House Briefing on the Launch of the Welcome Corps, a Refugee Private Sponsorship Program
As part of the Biden Administration’s efforts to strengthen and enhance the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP), the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration is expanding opportunities for everyday Americans to engage more directly in refugee resettlement. On January 19, 2023, the State Department launched the Welcome Corps, a new refugee private sponsorship program, fulfilling President Biden’s directive in his Executive Order on “Rebuilding and Enhancing Programs to Resettle Refugees” to leverage private sponsorship to increase domestic resettlement capacity and enable everyday Americans to make a meaningful contribution to welcoming refugees in their own communities.
The White House will host a virtual briefing on January 24, 2023, from 12:30 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. ET to discuss the launch of the Welcome Corps and inform participants on how they can be involved in the most significant innovation in the USRAP in over 40 years.
Speakers will include:
• Ambassador Susan Rice, Domestic Policy Advisor
• Jonathan Finer, Principal Deputy National Security Advisor
• Julieta Valls Noyes, Assistant Secretary for the Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration, Department of State
• January Contreras, Assistant Secretary for the Administration for Children and Families, Department of Health and Human Services
• John Bridgeland, Co-Chair of Welcome.US
• Thanh Tan, Co-Founder of Viets for Afghans
If time permits, a brief Q&A period will be held at the end of the webinar. Please submit any questions you would like considered as a part of your RSVP.